The Journey from Platform Nine and Three Quarters
Ron has dirt on his nose and Hermione’s talents are ignored.
- So, everyone’s at Platform 9 ¾ now and a student called Lee opens a box to show other students a giant tarantula. Emphasis on ‘giant’. Sounds like a hint of what’s to come in Chamber of Secrets.
- Why is Ron’s wand already battered? He couldn’t have been using it all that time before he even started school!
- Hermione’s voice is described as bossy; I don’t like this.
- It appears ‘stupid’ and ‘fat’ are often used together in this series.
- Why doesn’t anyone question how Hermione managed to memorise all the set textbooks? Those are mad skills! Harry can speak to snakes, so what? This girl MEMORISED ALL THE TEXTBOOKS.
- I find it strange that Hermione wanted to be in Gryffindor over Ravenclaw considering her obvious desire to seek knowledge and her wittiness. I know the fact she was placed in Gryffindor shows she ultimately valued bravery and friendship above all, but I thought she realised this for herself at the end of Philosopher’s Stone, when she understands books aren’t everything.
The Sorting Hat
An eleven-year-old gets catcalled and Harry says, ‘”Not Slytherin”‘.
- Wahay, they’ve made it to Hogwarts.
- I wonder why we don’t see ghosts in other buildings beside Hogwarts (unless I’m forgetting something here).
- I love the Sorting Hat’s song, it’s funny and it rhymes.
- Ooh, another early mention of something that (sort of) happens. Fred told Ron that the sorting ceremony would involve wrestling a troll.
- Erm, why were Fred and George catcalling eleven-year-old Lavender Brown when she got sorted into Gryffindor?
- The only (mentioned) South Asian girls at Hogwarts happen to be twins. There couldn’t just be two different unrelated South Asian students…
- Of course the creepy bad guy is going to be wearing a turban.
- There’s a Reddit post that goes over Dumbledore’ genius choice of welcoming words before the feast begins: ‘“Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”’ You can read it here.
- Neville says his family initially thought he was a Muggle because he didn’t show signs of magic, but I thought the correct term for that was ‘Squib’? Unless they’re used interchangeably…
- Apparently, the turban Quirrell is wearing is ‘absurd’.
- I forgot Hogwarts has a school song!
‘Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they’re bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we’ve forgot,
Just do your best, we’ll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot.’
- I want to end this by saying I wish the movies had included Peeves the poltergeist!